- Good Afternoon, ladies & gentlemen, fellow Candidates,
and honored guests:
- My name is Doctor Thomas Abshier; and I am a Republican candidate
for the US Senate.
- I thank you for giving me this opportunity to share my vision for
our nation and the State of Oregon.
You can find a great deal of information about me and my positions
on my website: www.doctorsenator.com
- To make an informed decision, you need to know why I am
qualified to be your Senator:
- My most important trait is that I am dedicated to serving God as a
disciple of Christ.
- The entire focus of my campaign is dedicated to bringing a righteous
rule of law onto this earth.
- The second thing you need to know about me is my background.
- Life has given me an extremely broad life experience, having
held numerous jobs in my 52 years.
- My first interest was in Electronics and Electrical
- I earned a degree in Electrical Engineering from UCLA in
- I worked in engineering jobs for Mobil Oil and the Los
Angeles Department of Water and Power.
- I continued my training at the Naval Nuclear Power School as an
officer in the US Navy, and graduated in 1975.
- I then served on board a nuclear submarine, the USS Sam Houston.
- Later I earned a degree in medicine from the National College of
Naturopathic Medicine and graduated in 1987.
- I have practiced as a Naturopathic Physician and Christian counselor
for the last 15 years.
- During that time I have had a dual
practice of general medicine and counseling with a
special emphasis on restoring broken marriages.
- My life experience has taught me business, theology, politics,
- My hobby is theoretical physics.
- I have worked for a number of years on a book I call, "The Theory of
- It is an attempt to describe the rules God may have
used to create the universe.
- It was through physics that I came back to Jesus in 1987.
- Since that time I have developed a deep and heartfelt connection and
devotion to our Lord and Savior.
My Campaign Slogan is: A New ERA for America
- ERA is an acronym for "Energy, Righteousness, and Accountability".
- We can solve our problems with enough ENERGY,
- In a RIGHTEOUS Society,
- Where everyone is ACCOUNTABLE to each other and to God.
The current Job and Manufacturing situation of our country
could be summarized as follows:
- Due to NAFTA & GATT, we are competing with foreign countries who
do not mandate environmental protection (EPA) or worker
welfare benefits (OSHA, Workers Comp, Health Insurance etc.).
- These handicaps amount to a Reverse Tarrif, making our
products uncompetitive with the rest of the world. As a result we
are outsourcing our jobs. The result is that unemployment is
a significant problem.
- Oregon now has the highest unemployment rate in the nation,
and so far, jobs are not returning.
- We need manufacturers to move into the Northwest who can spend
money and put the rest of us back to work serving each other.
I see two solutions to this problem.
Strategy 1) Return to tariff
protection of American industry:
Congress can reverse
its ratification of the NAFTA & GATT treaties.
We then renegotiate a
trade deal which equalizes the cost of products with foreign
manufacturers by taking into account the environmental and benefit
handicaps being assessed on American companies.
While this strategy would be fair, I
believe it would precipitate a retaliatory trade war.
As a result, I do not believe America has
the will to execute this solution.
2) Increase domestic production by increasing exports,
thereby bringing back manufacturing base and
The essence of this strategy is to engage
in Nation building.
America supplies the manufactured
goods needed to build an infrastructure (energy, communication,
transportation etc.) in a 3rd World nation
When the environment for production is
adequate, private companies will be attracted to this new market
The existence of a fertile soil for
economic activity is the only requirement for economic growth.
The taxes paid on income and production
will repay the loan when the economy reaches the point of excess
The project will be financed by
investors who see the long term profit potential from investing in
the growth of an entire nation.
Because of the initializing investment,
the entire nation of unproductive people will be brought from
poverty to exportable excess productivity
The project will involve government
leadership and coordination, but will be a largely private enterprise
endeavor once the infrastructure is initialized
Details of Strategy 2: Nation
-- Installing an energy and physical infrastructure for a 3rd
world nation & bringing it into full 1st World
Contract with a foreign nation which
is willing to install an alternative energy infrastructure using
Wind, Solar, and Hydrogen
Note: a 3rd world economy would
probably not be able to get out of poverty without
Thus, they will probably be willing to
contract with America to install a new energy technology even though
they will have to pay a premium for this infrastructure.
Note: the amount of energy available
from a Square Mile of land from sunlight is 2.6 times the amount once
generated by Trojan.
Note: Wind power is already a mature
low tech, secure investment, providing power at 4cents per Kilowatt
hour, a price similar to Natural Gas generation.
Hydrogen must be coupled with
Wind/Solar to provide fuel for transportation and power
generation during Night-time and Low-Wind conditions.
Hydrogen is not a perfected technology,
although current solutions are workable. (e.g. liquified
Hydrogen powering internal combustion engines)
The project must be funded
Investors who see the potential for a
return on investment by bringing the nation to a place of long term
profitablity will be interested in this venture
Bonds and other long term instruments,
10-20 years would probably be necessary for the economy to mature
and create a net export and a tax base that is able to pay back
the note's interest and principle.
Part of the payoff associated with
this investment will be the reward for ministering
to the poor.
As a Christian Nation, we should be
tithing a portion of our wealth to witness to and uplift the poor from
The financial markets will assess all
the risks factors involved and the economics of this
The financial feasibility of this
project will be brought into grounded reality by the markets.
Candidate nations must be chosen:
I propose that only nations which are
willing to allow Christian missionaries full authorization
to witness to the people and the government be given Nation
The government and people must
be trustworthy, otherwise they will not be a creditworthy
A nation is a good risk if it has
a Christian work ethic, honors property rights, human
rights, and contracts.
Other infrastructure installation in
addition to the energy infrastructure:
Roads, houses, hospitals, water,
sanitation, government, communication, food, information, etc.
Each of the elements of an
infrastructure must be manufactured in the USA and exported. All
of this manufacturing activity will put America back to
- Energy is the key to production. With enough energy, human
intelligence, and focused effort, we can produce enough machines,
to make enough goods, to supply all of our basic needs.
- We now live in a world with the possibility of sufficient clean
energy to power machines without number and produce products
- The limiting factor is our willingness to invest in the tools of
But, before America can truly prosper, it
must return to Righteousness:
- The strategy of Nation Building will work, it will bring a New ERA
of prosperity to the world.
- If America were willing to sacrifice its consumption, and devote its
production to the tools of production, our nation would be wealthy
- But, such an effort requires vision and sacrifice.
- Unless America's turns its heart back toward God,
this vision will probably not be executed.
- If it is attempted without a return to God, it
would probably not be properly administered, and it will
- When a people turn from God's Way, I believe God will move His
unseen hand on a nation and confuse the will and vision of the
Alexis De Tocqueville in the 1830's observed and marveled at America:
"I sought for the key to the greatness and genius of America in her
harbors...; in her fertile fields and boundless forests; in her rich
mines and vast world commerce; in her public school system and
institutions of learning. I sought for it in her democratic Congress and
in her matchless Constitution. Not until I went into the churches of
America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand
the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is
good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be
- Righteousness has a practical reflection in the economic affairs of
- HONESTY produces a dayís work for a dayís pay
- When there are JUST LAWS and Righteous Judges, we can depend on
cause and effect. The people rejoice when the rules are True and the
judgments are Fair.
- FAIRNESS dictates that we are compensated in proportion
to our contribution.
- PROPERTY RIGHTS dictate that we shall not Steal. When we work
hard, we deserve to enjoy the fruits of our labor.
- FIDELITY demands that commitments and contracts are honored.
- When we honor our FOREFATHERS we are no longer condemned to
relearn the lessons of the past. When we stand on the shoulders of
their wisdom and experience we will prosper.
- Setting aside a time of REST and worship allows us time to
rejuvenate. REST reminds us to value our humanity, not just our
- When we all honor LIFE, we can each
relax and feel safe in this world, knowing that we are all committed
to honoring each otherís right to life, liberty, and pursuit of
This nation was founded as a Christian
Patrick Henry boldly declared:
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that
this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians;
not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very
reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity,
and freedom of worship here."
- A nation will always legislate based on morality, it is
only a question of whose moral system is to be used.
- The recent challenge to the traditional view of
marriage shows that as a culture we are at the brink of crossing a moral
- We are now contemplating whether we will honor the
commands and moral codes of the Bible, or follow the moral system of
- I fear the withdrawal of the hand of protection of
Almighty God from our country if we turn our backs from our allegiance
to His moral system.
- As a nation we are accountable to ourselves, our fellow
man, and to God.
- We spend every moment of our lives inside Godís world,
and justice will be rendered eventually.
- As your legislator, I will be committed to openness,
transparency, and feedback.
- I will use my best judgment to avoid falling prey to
the pressures of special interest groups, pork barrel politics, and
- I am committed to advocating for the prosperity of
Oregon, but nothing is more valuable than maintaining integrity.
- Congressional bills should be guidelines of principle.
In general, bills should only be passed that contain single topics.
- Irrelevant issues tacked onto bills should be
- The usual casualty of pork barrel politics is fiscal
- Trading support for bills is unethical.
- Either a bill is worthy of support on its merit, or it
- Bargaining for support is the legislative
equivalent of selling one's soul.
- The courts and administrative bodies should interpret
and implement the law.
- If the laws are executed and interpreted wrongly, a
revised version of that law should be passed to clarify and correct the
intent of the legislation
I am committed to stopping and reversing judicial
activism. It all started with the 1947 Everson v. Board of Education
decision where the Supreme court ruled that we will completely
separate Church and State. This ruling was unConstitutional.
Separation of Christianity from the deliberations and acts of government
was NOT the intent of the Founders. We have been judged and
ruled a Christian nation by the 1892 Supreme Court, and the 1853 and 1854
House and Senate Judiciary Committees. It is time to return to our
Christian roots. The legislature MUST pass a bill to overturn
the Everson decision, just as Congress overturned the Dred Scott decision.
In 1820, Thomas Jefferson made the following statement,
"To consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all
constitutional questions [is] a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one
that would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy."
- After we reverse Everson, all the other
"non-Constitutional" rulings based on Everson can then be challenged and
- Judges who refuse to recognize the Constitutional basis
of the participation of Christianity in the affairs of State are worthy
- When we return to our Christian Heritage, teach our
children the word of God, bring them up in the fear and admonition of
the Lord, we will see the birth of the Righteous Society and the
attendant fruits of Godís blessing.
- I am committed to returning our nation to its proper
status as One Nation under God.
- I am committed to reversing Everson, & eliminating
the unconstitutional complete separation of Church and
- I am committed to returning prayer and bible reading to
- I am committed to life and passing legislation to
protect the unborn.
- Abortion should be an option used only to protect the
life of the mother, such as in ectopic pregnancy.
- I am committed to creating excellence in education by
modeling excellent results.
- I am in favor of retraining America to work in its new
industries. I believe we should invest in our human resources.
- Our schools should be excellent and available to every
person needing a job and willing to work.
- I support the use of military force to remove a
terrorist threat wherever it exits.
- Our primary fight against terror should be
in nourishing the economies of our enemies, and teaching them the
- The key to our prosperity is our willingness to
- As a nation, the path to our prosperity is through the
door of sacrifice. We have become a consumer/debtor
- It is time to turn the tide of our own selfish concern
and look outside of our nation.
- We must delay our own personal consumption, and invest
in a new effort to bring material & spiritual wealth to every corner
of the planet.
- For this effort we will be rewarded with jobs,
prosperity, and peace.
- To bring this vision to reality, we must first decide
that we are committed to helping the rest of the
- We must then decide that we have the national will to
sacrifice for a time while we invest in nation building.
- And finally, we must pass laws which restrict the
export of our solar energy manufacturing base.
- We must not outsource our contracts for Nation
As a nation, we stand on the brink of a New
- We can choose to walk down the slope of Godless self
indulgence of our passions.
- Or, we can choose to be a nation of God fearing,
God worshipping, temperate, patient, kind, loving and holy
- On the horizon is a new ERA,
- But, arriving at that new ERA depends on you.
It depends on your willingness to participate in
building a dream.
- It depends on your work and your
I thank you for your attention,
- I thank you for your commitment to changing the
- I thank you for your vote as we work together to
create a New ERA.