- Good Afternoon, ladies & gentlemen, fellow Candidates,
and honored guests:
- My name is Doctor Thomas Abshier; and I am a Republican candidate
for the US Senate.
- I thank you for giving me this opportunity to share my vision for
our nation and the State of Oregon.
You can find almost everything you want to know about me on my website:
- To make an informed decision, you need to know why I am
qualified to be your Senator:
- Life has given me an extremely broad education. have had an
extremely broad life experience, having held numerous jobs in my 52
- My first interest was in Electronics and Electrical
Power. I earned a degree in Electrical Engineering from
UCLA in 1974.
- I worked in engineering jobs for Mobil Oil and the Los Angeles
Department of Water and Power.
- I continued my training at the Naval Nuclear Power School as an
officer in the US Navy, and graduated in 1975. I then served on
board a nuclear submarine, the USS Sam Houston.
- Later I earned a degree in medicine from the National College of
Naturopathic Medicine and graduated in 1987. I have practiced as a
Naturopathic Physican and Christian counselor for the last 15
years. During that time I have focused on Christian
Counseling and restoring broken marriages.
- My life experience has taught me business, theology, counseling,
politics, and law.
- My hobby is theoretical physics, and I have worked for a number of
years on a book I call, "The Theory of Absolutes". It is an
attempt to show how God may have created the universe on the
The current situation of our country could be summarized as
- As a nation we have been trying to divide up the total productive
output of goods and services produced by the American economy to meet
the needs of: 1) the working class, 2) the government, 3) the military,
and 4) the unfortunate and needy
- The problem is that the current national economic
production is too small a pie to fill the stomachs of all the needy and
worthy recipients. We canít solve this problem by legislating how big a
slice each group gets. Someone will still feel hungry or cheated at the
end of the meal. We canít just change the size of the slices, we need a
- In other words, we need to increase the output of Americaís economic
engine. We need to somehow be more productive. With the same number of
people we need to produce more goods and services.
- I have a Vision.
- I want your Vote.
- I believe together we can have a Victory.
- We can enter into a New ERA.
- ERA is an acronym for "Energy, Righteousness, and Accountability".
- We can solve our problems with enough ENERGY,
- In a RIGHTEOUS Society,
- Where everyone is ACCOUNTABLE to each other and to God.
- Energy is the key to production. With enough energy, human
intelligence, and focused effort, we can produce enough machines,
to make enough goods, to supply all of our basic needs. We now
live in a world with the possibility of sufficient clean energy to
power machines without number. There is
no structural or technological reason for poverty and
joblessness. We have not focused our efforts at truly solving
the basic problems of economics.
- We complain that we don't have jobs in Oregon. This
simply means that we have not mobilized the workforce to produce
the goods and services desired by those in need. Work is a
privilege, a duty, an exercise, and an opportunity. We all
need to work, but our work should be light, enjoyable, and an expression
of our service to God and humanity.
- In a fully mature economy, we should each spend some time
tending and operating the machines that meet our basic needs. But the
true joy of our work-life will come from our expression in the world of
art. Everyone has a talent, and that talent is a gift to the world.
- At the present time we are at the brink of energy deficiency.
- Our power grid is strained, we have blackouts, brownouts, and
rolling grid failures.
- Companies move away from Oregon because of the cost of power,
excessive taxation, and the availability of water.
- Our dependence on foreign oil places our economy at risk of
recession and inflation by the decision of enemy states.
- Our continued purchase of Middle East oil contributes to funding
- Currently there are several alternative energy generating
technologies that can be used to reduce and eventually eliminate our
dependence on oil.
- Biomass, wind, solar, and hydrogen technologies can all be
manufactured and installed today.
- When we include the actual costs associated using coal, nuclear, and
oil, we will find that the solar-hydrogen economy is fully
- The impediments to implementing these technologies are government,
industry, and national will.
- To solve our energy dependence, vulnerability, pollution, and
scarcity problems, we must install a new energy infrastructure.
Ė Alternative energy technologies that can implement this great
new future of clean, plentiful, and affordable energy are as
- The BIOMASS solution: The transportation sector uses approximately
90% of our imported oil. We now import 50% of our oil. Sorghum, corn,
and any other plant matter can be fermented to produce ethanol, which
can replace gasoline. Ford currently manufactures a "Flex Car" that it
exports to Brazil. This car will run on any a fuel mixture of gasoline
and 10% to 85% ethanol. Tax credits should be given for this modestly
priced car conversion.
- Solar Energy is the ultimate source of all power on earth: 1 square
mile of land collects the equivalent of 2.6 times the amount of energy
that was once produced by the 1000 Megawatt Trojan nuclear plant. New
technology developed in Japan called Spherical Solar cells are bead-like
structures made of silicon that generate voltage when exposed to light.
They are expected to be cost competitive with conventional gas, coal,
and nuclear power generation when manufactured in quantity.
- Wind Energy has already proven to be economical. It is dependable,
and the amount of energy it will produce over a month can be predicted
with accuracy. Wind generators mounted at sea are even more efficient
due to the higher winds over the oceans.
- The Hydrogen Solution: Electricity produced by solar or wind
generation can be used to break down water into hydrogen and oxygen.
Hydrogen is a storage form of energy, much like gasoline. It can be
liquified, put in cylinders, and used like a gas tank. As far as
flamability, it is safer than gasoline. Cars can be modified to burn
hydrogen instead of gasoline.
But, before a nation can prosper, it must be
- I believe God will move His unseen hand on a nation and confuse the
will and vision of the people who turn from His Way.
- Our nation will not prosper until we place our allegiance back
Alexis De Toqueville in the 1830's observed and marveled at America:
"I sought for the key to the greatness and genius of America in her
harbors...; in her fertile fields and boundless forests; in her rich
mines and vast world commerce; in her public school system and
institutions of learning. I sought for it in her democratic Congress and
in her matchless Constitution. Not until I went into the churches of
America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand
the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is
good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be
Ė Righteousness has a practical reflection in the economic
affairs of a nation.
- HONESTY produces a dayís work for a dayís pay
- When there are JUST LAWS and Righteous Judges, we can depend on
cause and effect. The people rejoice when the rules are True and the
judgements are Fair.
- FAIRNESS requires that we are rewarded for the work we do, and be
compensated in proportion our contribution.
- PROPERTY RIGHTS dictate that we shall not Steal. When we work hard,
we deserve to enjoy the fruits of our labor.
- FIDELITY demands that commitments and contracts are honored.
- When we honor our FOREFATHERS we are no longer condemned to relearn
the lessons of the past. When we stand on the shoulders of their wisdom
and experience we will prosper.
- Setting aside a time of REST and worship allows us time to
rejuvenate. REST reminds us to value our humanity, not just our
- When we all honor LIFE, we can each relax
and feel safe in this world, knowing that we are all committed to
honoring each otherís right to life, liberty, and pursuit of
This nation was founded as a Christian
Ė Patrick Henry boldly declared:
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that
this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians;
not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very
reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity,
and freedom of worship here."
- A nation will always legislate based on morality, it is
only a question of whose moral system is to be used.
- The recent challenge to the traditional view of
marriage shows that as a culture we are at the brink of crossing a moral
line. We are now contemplating whether we will honor the commands and
moral codes of the Bible, or follow the moral system of another
- I fear the withdrawal of the hand of protection of
Almighty God from our country if we turn our backs from our allegiance
to His moral system.
- As a nation we are accountable to ourselves, our fellow
man, and to God.
- We spend every moment of our lives inside Godís world,
and justice will be rendered eventually.
- As your legislator, I will be committed to openness,
transparency, and feedback.
- I will use my best judgment to avoid falling prey to
the pressures of special interest groups, pork barrel politics, and
- I am committed to advocating for the prosperity of
Oregon, but nothing is more valuable than maintaining integrity.
- Congressional bills should be guidelines of principle.
In general, bills should only be passed that contain single topics.
Irrelevant issues tacked onto bills should be eliminated. The usual
casualty of pork barrel politics is fiscal responsibility.
- Trading support for bills is unethical. Either a
bill is worthy of support on its merit, or it is not.
Bargaining for support is the legislative equivalent of
selling one's soul.
- The courts and administrative bodies should interpret
and implement the law. If the laws are executed and interpreted wrongly,
a revised version of that law should be passed to clarify and correct
the intent of the legislation.
- I am committed to stopping and reversing judicial
activism. It all started with the 1947 Everson v. Board of Education
decision where the Supreme court ruled that we will completely
separate Church and State. This ruling was unConstitutional. Separation
of Christianity from the deliberations and acts of government was
NOT the intent of the Founders, we have been judged and ruled a
Christian nation by the 1892 Supreme Court, the 1853 and 1854 House and
Senate Judiciary Committees. It is time to return to our Christian
roots. The legislature MUST pass a bill to overturn the Everson
decision, just as Congress overturned the Dred Scott decision.
In 1820, Thomas Jefferson made the following statement,
"To consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all
constitutional questions [is] a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one
that would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy."
- After we reverse Everson, all the other
"non-Constitutional" rulings based on Everson can then be challenged and
overturned. Judges who refuse to recognize the Christian and
constitutional basis of the participation of Christianity in the affairs
of State are worthy of impeachment.
- When we return to our Christian Heritage, teach our
children the word of God, bring them up in the fear and admonition of
the Lord, we will see the birth of the Righteous Society and the
attendant fruits of Godís blessing.
- I am committed to returning our nation to its proper
status as One Nation under God.
- I am committed to reversing Everson, & eliminating
the unconstitutional complete separation of Church and
- I am committed to returning prayer and bible reading to
- I am committed to life and passing legislation to
protect the unborn.
- Abortion should be an option used only to protect the
life of the mother, such as in ectopic pregnancy.
- I am committed to creating excellence in education by
modeling excellent results.
- I am in favor of retraining America to work in its new
- I believe we should invest in our human
- Our schools should be excellent and available to every
person needing a job.
- I support the use of military force to remove a
terrorist threat wherever it exits.
- The key to our prosperity is our willingness to
- As a nation, the path to our prosperity is through the
door of sacrifice.
- We have become a consumer/debtor nation. It is time to
turn the tide of our own selfish concern and look outside.
- We must delay our own personal consumption, and invest
in a new effort to bring material & spiritual wealth to every corner
of the planet. For this effort we will be rewarded with jobs,
prosperity, and peace.
- To bring this vision to reality, we must first decide
that we are committed to replacing our dependence on oil with solar,
wind, or biomass energy generation capacity.
- We must then decide that we have the national will to
sacrifice for a time while we invest in nation building.
- And finally, we must pass laws which restrict the
export of our solar energy manufacturing base until we are fully
As a nation, we stand on the brink of a New
- We can choose to walk down the slope of Godless self
indulgence of our passions.
- Or we can choose to be a nation of God fearing, God
worshiping, temperate, patient, kind, loving and holy citizens.
- On the horizon is a new ERA, and I am willing to lead
you toward that vision I see so clearly.
- But, arriving at that new ERA depends on
- It depends on your willingness to participate in
building a dream.
- It depends on your faith that there is a God, and that
He rewards the righteous.
- I thank you for your attention,
- I thank you for your commitment to changing the world,
- And, I thank you for voting for me working that